This program is for workers who:
- have the skills, education and work experience to contribute to the economy of a specific province or territory
- want to live in that province, and
- want to become permanent residents of Canada
Each province and territory has its own “streams” (immigration programs that target certain groups) and requirements. For example, in a program stream, provinces and territories may target:
- business people
- skilled workers
- semi-skilled workers
About the process
This is the paper-based application process for the Provincial Nominee Program.
The applicant must apply in 2 stages:
- First, the applicants must decide where they want to live in Canada and apply to that province or territory for a nomination. It will be assessed based on:
- Province’s immigration needs and
- if the applicants really plan to live there
- After a province or territory nominates a candidate, they must apply to (Immigration, Refugees and Citizenship Canada) for permanent residence. CIC will assess their application based on Canadian immigration law.
Express Entry process
In the online Express Entry process, there are 2 ways to apply:
- The applicant contact the province or territory and apply for a nomination under an Express Entry stream.
- If the province or territory agrees to nominate him, he can create an Express Entry profile and show he has been nominated.
- The applicant creates an Express Entry profile and show the provinces and territories you’re interested in.
- If a province or territory sends the applicant a “notification of interest” to his account, he can contact them directly.
- The applicants can apply to their Express Entry stream:
- If they’re nominated, the province will offer it to them through their account, and they accept it electronically.
In both cases:
- They must meet the eligibility requirements of the province or territory. And,
- They must submit an Express Entry profile and show that they meet the minimum criteria for Express Entry, including being eligible for one of the immigration programs it covers.
- If they are invited to apply, you submit an electronic application to IRCC.
To be nominated by a province or territory, the applicant must follow the instructions on their website and contact them directly:
- British Columbia
- New Brunswick
- Newfoundland and Labrador
- Northwest Territories
- Nova Scotia
- Prince Edward Island
The criteria by province and territory vary and can change without notice.